It’s always a good idea to spend time outdoors. Basking in the sun and enjoying the breeze allow you to destress and relax. As shown in studies, people who spend 120 minutes a week outside or in a natural setting are more likely to be healthier and happier. Families who live with more green space in their neighborhood have lower risks of obesity, diabetes, and other mental health issues.
That is why owning a patio or a pergola is one way of experiencing nature without having to leave your house. But creating an outdoor space isn’t only about buying everything you’ll need in an outdoor furniture store. It also means taking into consideration all the other essential factors. To help you understand better, listed below are some of them.
Choose Your Preferred Outdoor Design
Before anything else, you should first decide which type of outdoor space is suitable for your home. The architectural design of your house matters because it’ll be the basis of your preferred alfresco setting. Some examples of outdoor spaces include:
- Decks – A deck is a structure made of a wooden platform. It’s an area separate from or attached to a house that can be built on varying levels, which may require steps and a railing.
- Patio – A patio, on the other hand, is the Spanish term for a courtyard within a building or a house. Both are open spaces, but the difference is that walls do not surround a patio. Like a deck, it’s built either attached to a house or separated, but it is situated at ground level, so it doesn’t require railings. Materials that are used to create this landscape include stones, pebbles, tiles, bricks, and concrete.
- Porch – A porch is a covered area commonly found in the entryway of a house or building. The elevated structure can be open or enclosed with screens, columns, or walls. Some of the other designs associated with it include a veranda, lanai, and portico.
- Pergola – Pergolas are large outdoor structures built with columns and an open flat roofing grid mostly, used as a partial shade. It is often attached to a house that serves as an outside living room setting. It is also primarily constructed using wooden materials like tropical hardwood, red cedarwood, and redwood.
- Gazebo – A gazebo is somewhat similar to a pergola, but the difference is that its roofing is usually covered. The structure is elevated and surrounded by columns built with railings and steps. Aside from that, most of these hexagonal or octagonal structures are created using wooden or metal materials.
Consider the Climate in Your Area
After deciding which type of outdoor design is appropriate for your space, the climate is also an important factor you should think about. It’s because the amount of exposure to these conditions affects the durability of your outdoor furniture. Through this knowledge, you’ll be narrowing your options down only to items with suitable materials that can withstand the weather in your area.
For places that are usually hot and increasingly humid, it’s best to choose furniture made of HDPE or high-density polyethylene recycled lumber materials. It does not absorb heat, and it is also resistant to moisture. On the other hand, steel and iron are ideal materials for areas with strong winds. Not only are they wind-resistant, but they are also durable and low-maintenance.
Make Sure Everything’s Proportionate
Another component that you should also keep in mind is that the furniture must be proportional to the size of your space. In this way, you can ensure that the place will not look cramped and there will always be enough space for you to roam around. It would be best to consider pieces of furniture that can accommodate your visitors and even large groups of people.
Focus on Style and Comfort
One of the main functions of outdoor space is to provide you with an area to relax. That’s why you should focus on buying cozy furniture, like lounge chairs built with soft cushions and fabrics. You can also add other elements (such as ceiling fans, oversized umbrellas, and curtains) that will bring you comfort even in extreme weather conditions.
Aside from that, the outdoor area is also an extension of your living room. So when choosing furnishings, you must consider items that match the current style of your home. They include some hammocks, beach chairs, or various kinds of light fixtures.
Always Conduct Your Research
Everyone wants the best when it comes to building their dream homes. That is why, aside from these factors, it’s equally important to invest in quality furniture. In that way, you can be sure that it’s built to last even after many years. So before going to an outdoor furniture store to purchase any items, always do your research. Not only will it allow you to buy pieces of furniture only within your budget, but it will also help you decide better.