As a couple, you start to think about the available treatment options when you come to know about your fertility problems. Through doctor consultation or self-education, you know about the available fertility treatments and try to be familiar with each associated point. IUI or intrauterine insemination is one of those fertility treatment options that doctors usually recommend to childless or infertile couples. In this post, have a look at every point in brief such as the IUI process, success, IUI cost in Bangalore, and tips for successful IUI treatment.
What is IUI?
IUI or intrauterine insemination is one of the most popular and effective treatments for infertile couples. In the IUI treatment process, experts retrieve sperm from a male’s semen, wash the sperm, choose healthier sperm and inject the healthier one directly into the uterus of a female partner just before ovulation. Through it, there is a higher chance of conception.
Who needs IUI treatment?
Experts recommend IUI treatment to couples after going through previous medical history and some screening/test results. They recommend IUI treatment to the women or men who:
- Do not ovulate due to PCOS, or allied reproductive health issues
- Have unexplained infertility
- Suffer from minor semen/sperm abnormalities
- Have ejaculation problem
- Have frozen sperm prior to the treatment of chronic health problems/diseases like cancer
- Face mild male factor infertility
- Have slight endometriosis
- Suffer from vaginismus
- Have cervical factor infertility
IUI treatment process
Usually, the initial step of the IUI treatment is similar to the IVF treatment procedure. Here is how experts carry out this procedure:
- Ovary stimulation with fertility drugs for multiple egg production
- Ovulation monitoring
- Sperm collection
- Injection of the washed and thatered sperm directly into a female’s uterus with the help of the catheter
- Pregnancy test after around two weeks or 14 days
IUI treatment cost
IUI cost differs from one geographical region to another and depends on the current reproductive health of a patient. It also differs from one clinic to another within a city in a country. If you talk about IUI cost in Bangalore, it can be anything between INR 8 000 to 12 000 per cycle. You should think of all associated points and keep the cost aside for better treatment.
IUI treatment risks
Like other medicines and treatments, IUI treatment carries some mild risks that can be avoided. Here are some common IUI treatment risks:
Infection – You might have a very low chance of having an infection as a result of the IUI treatment procedure.
Spotting – The use of the catheter to inject sperm into the uterus sometimes causes vaginal bleeding. It has no impact on your pregnancy chances.
Multiple pregnancies – IUI itself does not cause or increase the risk for multiple pregnancy. Due to the use of fertility drugs to stimulate ovaries, the risk for multiple pregnancy increases. And as a result, you (mom-to-be) might have low birth weight and early labour.
IUI success rates
The success ratio of the IUI treatment ranges between 16 to 25 per cent based on a female’s egg quality, uterus health, and allied factors. Some common factors affecting the IUI success are as follows:
- Maternal age
- Shape of the uterus
- Thickness of the uterus lining or endometrium
- The quality of sperm retrieved from a male partner’s semen
- Presence of fibroids or uterine polyps
- Tubal blockage
How to prepare yourself for IUI treatment
To make your IUI treatment successful, you (couples) need to prepare yourself well. Here is what you can do in this regard:
- Go through a few tests or screenings to ensure that IUI is the right fertility treatment for you
- Talk to a respective doctor to comprehend this treatment well
- Have blood tests for hormones that regulate your ovarian reserve
- Get genetic screening done
- Face semen analysis
- Opt for donor sperm if your male partner’s sperm is not healthy for having a conception through intrauterine insemination
- Say NO to physical intimacy before 2-3 days of procedure
- Constantly monitor or menstrual cycle and ovulation time
- Take the prescribed fertility drugs for ovary stimulation to produce more eggs at a time
- Be ready to face medical procedure for 10 days
Chances of twins or triplets through IUI
You have a risk of having twins or triplets through IUI treatment. Your risk is around 10-20% if you are taking fertility drugs to stimulate your ovaries for more egg production and release.
Is an IUI cycle helpful in improving your pregnancy chances?
Yes, the treatment is helpful in increasing your pregnancy chances. It happens, as experts inject thoroughly washed sperm directly into your uterus just before ovulation. This treatment bypasses many problems that occur between your vagina, cervix, and the incompatibility of egg with sperm.
Will you need to have more than one IUI cycle to conceive?
Yes, you need to go through the entire IUI treatment procedure again if you do not conceive in the first cycle. Your doctor may recommend IVF after evaluating the current process and your reproductive health status.
The right time to know the successfulness of IUI treatment
You need to wait for at least two week or 14 day to know whether your IUI treatment was successful or not.
IUI is an effective fertility treatment for childless couples with both male and female infertility. Based on several factors, its success ratio is 16-25%. Your cooperation and your doctor’s help will enable you to become parents through IUI.